Introduce Yourselves!

May 21, 20:40 by Chris Dodson
Okay, how about this? Since I'm lazy, I'm just going to copy mine from another "introduce yourself" thing I did a few weeks ago:

I'm Chris Dodson, 22 years old, from Kingsport, Tennessee, U.S.A. Some of my favorite SF writers are Arthur C. Clarke, Olaf Stapledon, Philip K. Dick, Stephen Baxter, Gregory Benford, Barry Malzberg, Greg Egan, Gene Wolfe, Michael Swanwick, Stephen King, Gardner Dozois, and Charles Stross; some of my mainstream lit favorites are Thomas Wolfe, Michael Chabon, Albert Camus, William Faulkner, Joyce Carol Oates, Flannery O'Connor, and Umberto Eco.

Outside of SF, my interests include philosophy, music, baseball, science, sex, and just about everything else under the sun. As for bad things, I spend way too much time on message boards, I smoke too much, and I'm really bad at small talk.

How 'bout the rest of you?
Jun 5, 12:37 by Joshua Berlow
Hello. I'm Joshua Berlow, I've got a website at
www.joshuaberlow.com

I've written one autobiographical novella entitled "Insanity Factory" which you can buy on Amazon.com. It's published by IUniverse.com, a POD publisher, and it's not SF or Fantasy. When I had it published I was swayed by the hype and promise of POD publishing, but now I know better!

I'd like to write articles for IROSF, as I'm very impressed that they pay! I go to Trinidad (in the Caribbean) every summer. Last year I took two novels (Startide Rising by Brin and A Talent for War by McDevitt) and finished them way before I left. So this time I'm taking more than just two!

I used to read a lot of cyberpunk, but have since read Varley & Vernor Vinge, McDevitt. Most recently read _Holy Fire_ by Bruce Sterling; Sterling always delivers the goods. I'm also reading previous Nebula Award winners. Was surprised that _Startide Rising_ won a Nebula, I found it to be silly.

I've been working on a second novel, this one sci-fi/fantasy, for too too long. This time around I hope to get an agent.
Jun 11, 11:49 by michael kepley-broome
Chris, pleased to meet you. My name is Michael, I'm a brit and have just moved to tennessee.
I've been reading science fiction since before the invention of the wheel!
I like your author list, real class there. Maybe we can gab (talk,brit slang!) sometime. By the way I live in Maryville East Tennessee.
Live long and perspire
Mike
Jun 13, 00:41 by Chris Dodson
Hi Mike,

Maryville's a few miles outside of Knoxville, right? I have a bunch of friends who are going to school in Knoxville, so I'm (sort of) familiar with the area.

Nice to meet ya!
Jul 13, 18:29 by Elizabeth Thomas
Hi. Some of you might recognize me if you ever hang out at the Asimov's forum. I can also occasionally be spotted on various forums at Nightshades.

I started reading science fiction, fantasy, and other kinds of literature fairly young. My parents are librarians and passed on to me a love of books, reading, and the written word.

My interests in the past have ranged from raising poultry for showmanship, reading about primate intelligence, writing, and studying computer science*.

The last few books I read for fun were written by C.J. Cherryh, Roger Zelazny, Paul McAuley, and Robin McKinley. I'm also reading a collection of Damon Knight stories and subscriptions to Asimov's and F & SF. Plus I also recently read "Bernardo's House" by James Patrick Kelly on the Asimov's site and "Shadow Twin" at SCIFICTION by Daniel Abraham, Gardner Dozois, and George R.R. Martin.

*Alas, the computer science has been mostly abandoned in favor of the Humanities, especially my undergraduate English major.

Oh, and I'm female. :) E stands for Elizabeth.
Jul 26, 06:13 by marilyn graves
Hello Mike, My name is Marilyn. I used to live in Knoxville until recently (birthplace of Quentin Tarantino) but I know some people in Maryville. Do you know J. Slavin?
Jul 28, 18:57 by Alan T. Sippola
A gracious Heigh-ho and high-five Hello, folks!

I'm Alan.
This place is absolutely outstanding!
...And bigger than I had ever imagined.

Can you hear my echooooooo ooooooo oooooo oooooo? ;-)
Sep 28, 05:13 by Chris Przybyszewski
Hello All:

Chris Przybyszewski here. I've been writing professionally for six or seven years (staff writer, technical writer, grant writer, freelance writer, etc.). I published my first short story in Deep Magic, the January 2004 edition. I write as much as I can. I read all good writers; I'm currently working on Gene Wolf's stuff. I write reviews for the SFSite. Life is fine.

I live and work in Memphis, Tennessee.

It's good to meet all of you.
Sep 28, 07:01 by John Frost
Welcome Chris. How do you pronounce that last name? Looks like a tongue twister!
Nov 30, 05:54 by Anonymous
How's this for a fast resposne, eh?

:)

It's pronounced Shoob-er-chef-ski. It's not so bad when you get used to it.

Best,
Chris
Apr 3, 05:30 by Alan Scheiner
Science Fiction fan, 39, New York, NY. Attorney. Some selected favorite authors: James Patrick Kelly, Lucius Shepard, Stephen Baxter, Ovtavia Butler, Connie Willis, Jeffrey Forde, Paolo Baciagalupi, Walter Jon Williams. Looking to find like minded fans to meet in Manhattan for a reading group.
Apr 17, 09:37 by Steven Kolins
I'm a Baha'i from North Carolina. I've posted a while back here about this article from vol. issue #1.

In more recent news my wife and I have just completed a 10 week adventure of international adoption and hospitals... you can read more about it here (fixed!)
Apr 17, 15:28 by Bluejack
You might want to re-edit that link to your adoption adventure to make it work properly, you need the http:// on it, I believe.

In any case, nice pictures. Katarina is very cute! Congratulations.

Apr 17, 17:44 by Steven Kolins
thanks! Lost the http part somewhere....

I've been much taken with a persistent admiration of the Matrix series of movies, at least the more philosophical parts though I'm looking forward to the Hitchhiker's Guide movie and the last Star Wars movie as well! Also there's the effort to save Star Trek:Enterprise. And another connection I have to SciFi (noticed the other thread) is my brother is a superhero comic book artist (Scott Kolins.)
Apr 19, 08:46 by Steven Kolins
More about the Enterprise situation - all the news is bad. The save Enterprise campaigns have ended for now perhaps but here's a great article from Planetary.org about how Star Trek has influenced science and science fiction
Apr 19, 11:04 by Bluejack
Well, in my opinion, Enterprise was a pretty crappy show. More soap opera than science fiction. The only character worth watching was the Doctor. No, actually I kind of liked the security guy, although that late-breaking episode where he turns out to be a secret agent for some secret government branch was utterly inane. Anyway, I am all for a little down time while the Star Trek creators regroup and try to come up with a series that has some life to it.
Apr 19, 18:20 by Steven Kolins
In detail I generally agree. Some of my older comments here speak to the poor quality of Star Trek. But in it's limitation by dealing with the general level of entertainment, it also stands above most of that same entertainment. So much so that it has influenced science and scifi to a remarkable extent. Read the article from Planetary.org. It's really quite impressive!
Sep 4, 14:13 by Chris Pugmire
Hi, I'm a POD author who would like to get my work 'reviewed'. It seems everyone who reads it likes it, but getting 'reviewers' to read a POD book is almost impossible so I'm hoping to find a few enthusiasts who will accept a free book and judge it by it's merrit alone.

So if anyone here would like a copy to review fill out the form on my web site and I'll send you a free copy. I'll be happy to be interviewed as well if you wish to after reading my book.

http://scifi-review.com/freebook.htm

(I hope this is not too inappropriate for this site/forum)
Sep 4, 16:46 by Bluejack
I understand the obstacles facing self-published authors, or authors working with small publishers using PoD printing mechanisms. Since we can't promise that materials sent to the IROSF offices will get reviewed, you're doing exactly the right thing by inviting reviewers here on the forums. (And you might try some others as well.)

One suggestion: how about a promo pitch. What's the book about, who will it appeal to, etc? You need to "sell" your book, even to reviewers, by giving them a sense of what it is and what makes it worth putting the time into.

As a reviewer (albeit of short fiction), I can attest to the fact that time is the scarcest commodity of all, and to waste time reading something that is not going to make for an interesting or valuable review is more than a little frustrating.

As an author, you need to connect with the right readers for your work, and that includes the right reviewer.

Again, good luck!
Oct 5, 14:30 by Sherry Decker
Hi, I can't claim to have written or done anything so amazing that anyone on this Forum would say - Oh wow, you did that? I've had some small success with Hitchcock's Mystery Mag., Black Gate, Book of Dark Wisdom, City Slab, and Cemetery Dance. I edited/published Indigenous Fiction for four years. That was a blast but it was exhausting and I missed writing so I closed it down. Some of my favorite writers are Stephen King, Tanith Lee, Joyce Carol Oates, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. I'm trying hard to finish my first novel, since I normally write short fiction - and watch a lot of movies.
Oct 6, 09:34 by Bluejack
Indigenous ... now that's different from Aboriginal, right? What was Indigenous?
Oct 6, 19:00 by Sherry Decker
Hi Bluejack, thanks for asking.
"Indigenous Fiction ~ wondrously weird & offbeat" had a successful run for 3 1/2 years. I published stories by Stepan Chapman and Jeffrey Thomas, just to drop a couple names, and we interviewed Jeff VanderMeer. But I was worn out and I missed writing and submitting my own short fiction so I closed down the magazine. You can still find some mention of I.F. in the some archives. We put out a total of 8 issues.
Jul 16, 02:15 by robert eggleton
Hello,

I'm a therapist in a children's mental health program in West Virginia. I wrote a science fiction novel. "Rarity from the Hollow" is available from www.fatcatpress.com. A satirical essay about its self-promotion was published a couple of weeks ago by Wingspan Quarterly (www.wingspanquarterly.com). Jag Lall, English comic book artist, did the cover pro bono.

"Rarity" has received several blurbs, some of which are on the publisher's site. A review will appear in Baryon Online sometime next month (http://www.baryon-online.com). The best sentences are:

"Eggleton has crafted a novel that deals with social commentary mixed with some eerie science fiction and strange problem that Lacy has to solve to save the universe with the help of her family and her dog, Brownie. I can almost hear a blue grass version of Metallica while reading this. I expect to see more from Eggleton and Lacy Dawn. Good satire is hard to find and science fiction satire is even harder to find."

-- Barry Hunter

Depending on a schedule, from ten to fifty percent of any profits I receive will be donated to prevent child abuse: Children's Home Society of West Virginia (CHS, Dennis Sutton, Executive Director, 304-346-6644). My agency is not involved with prevention, only treatment, and I wanted to give to CHS because it has a good reputation.

I wrote to IROSF to request a review of my novel before, but, apparently it publishes reviews written by others. I'm a total novice. If anybody out there thinks that they can get one published on this great site, I'll email you the novel.

Thank you,

Robert Eggleton
robert_t@charter.net
Jul 16, 19:19 by twosheds
Robert,

[bleep]

Kisses,

Twosheds
Jul 16, 21:36 by Marti McKenna
This is the "Introduce Yourself" thread, right? From what I can see, Robert did just that, and even followed Bluejack's advice from an earlier post (i.e., pitched his book and requested an interested reviewer).

Whatever Robert may (or may not) have said or done elsewhere to earn such scorn, I don't think his intro here warranted a public flogging before his peers and potential readers. If this advice was intended to help rather than harm, it might better have been delivered privately.

MHO,
Marti
Jul 16, 23:48 by twosheds
Marti,

You are correct and I apologize. My tone and purpose were inconsistent with the intent of this particular forum. I will ask Bluejack to delete it (since I don’t know how to do it myself).

However, Robert has received several private communications to reconsider his approach and has chosen to ignore them. I’m afraid a public flogging is in his future, if not here, then elsewhere.

T.
Jul 17, 06:07 by Lois Tilton
Perhaps twosheds had noted that Robert spent the weekend spamming other review sites, such as Tangent's.
Jul 17, 10:53 by Bluejack

And apparently the discussion of his actions at Tangent's are the subject of quite an interesting thread over there.

Just a reminder that Robert did follow the local rules here and post the right stuff in the right place.

Welcome, Robert.
Aug 28, 15:42 by robert eggleton
Thanks. I suffer from what might be a common ailment of new authors -- lack of funds complicated by enthusiasm. Several sites offerred the paid advertising option. One gave me a year's for free. I never intended to not follow anybody's rules.

Robert Eggleton
Nov 17, 13:47 by robert eggleton
I Owe One to Robert Eggleton
By Evelyn Somers, The Missouri Review

Earlier this year I was contacted by a first-time novelist asking if I would review his forthcoming e-book. If people knew how many requests of this kind editors get, they would understand that out of self-preservation we sometimes . . . well, I ignored it.

Robert tried again. There was something in the tone of his e-mail. Clearly this mattered to him. So I said yes, I’d take a look, though I didn’t think we could review Rarity From the Hollow. This is all fogged somewhat in memory: in the months since then our magazine moved its office, I was hospitalized for a cat bite (yes, they’re dangerous!), we’ve published several issues, read hundreds of manuscripts, I went to Africa, etc., etc. But as I recall, Robert sent me the first chapter, which begins with two impoverished schoolgirls (from the Hollow of the title) studying together and spelling the word for an adult sex toy. It was quirky, profane, disturbing. I said I’d look at the book, not entirely sure what I could do to help.

He sent me the whole thing. I read portions of the book, which is subtitled “A Lacy Dawn Adventure,” after the girl protagonist, Lacy Dawn. I liked Lacy, who lives in a world of poverty, classmates with precocious sexual knowledge and/or experience, unemployed men, worn-down women and cruelty so casual that it’s more knee-jerk than intentional. Maybe I was just too bothered by the content, but at a certain point I knew I just couldn’t do anything. Time was nonexistent.

So I deleted the book.

Robert contacted me again, and I got soft. You see, there was something about the whole project in general. Robert is a social worker who has spent at least a portion of his career working with child-abuse victims in Appalachia. The book was partly about that, and mostly very strange. In the Hollow, Lacy takes up with an android named DotCom, from “out of state,” which really means out of this world. Under DotCom’s wing, she decides that she will “save” her family. Little does she know she will end up saving the universe. Robert was donating the proceeds from sales to help child-abuse victims.

Robert is not a kid; he’s maybe my age, maybe older. This wasn’t about youthful ambition, vanity and reputation. It was about some kind of personal calling. I believe in those. I also believe in people who are driven to get their writing out there to an audience, through whatever venue. The e-book idea intrigued me. The earnestness of the appeal got to me. Send the book again, I said. He did. It’s still on my hard drive. (I suppose I should delete it, since I haven’t paid for it.)

Robert kept after me. If I liked it, could I write a blurb? Yeah, of course. I was fund-raising for my African trip (a Habitat build), teaching, editing, raising three kids. But who isn’t busy? We set our own priorities. I put Robert and his book lower than some other things, which really wasn’t fair because I said I would do something, and I didn’t.

And it has bothered me. Here’s another thing people don’t know about editors. They sometimes have consciences about books/stories/poems/whatever that they’ve allowed to get lost or neglected in the shuffle of what amounts to thousands of pages.

So I’m belatedly giving Rarity From the Hollow a plug. Among its strengths are an ultra-convincing depiction of the lives, especially the inner lives, of the Appalachian protagonists. The grim details of their existence are delivered with such flat understatement that at times they almost become comic. And just when you think enough is enough, this world is just too ugly, Lacy’s father (who is being “fixed” with DotCom’s help) gets a job and Lacy, her mother and her dog take off for a trip to the mall “out of state” with Lacy’s android friend, now her “fiancé” (though as Lacy’s mother points out, he doesn’t have any private parts, not even “a bump.”) In the space between a few lines we go from hardscrabble realism to pure sci-fi/fantasy. It’s quite a trip.

Rarity is published by FatCat Press, which has other e-books for sale as well. You can find it at www.fatcatpress.com. The blurb on the website says in part:

Lacy Dawn is a true daughter of Appalachia, and then some. She lives in a hollow with her mom, her Vietnam Vet dad, and her mutt Brownie, a dog who's very skilled at laying fiber-optic cable. Lacy Dawn's android boyfriend, DotCom, has come to the hollow with a mission. His equipment includes infomercial videos of Earth's earliest proto-humans from millennia ago. DotCom has been sent by the Manager of the Mall on planet Shptiludrp: he must recruit Lacy Dawn to save Earth, and they must get a boatload of shopping done at the mall along the way. Saving Earth is important, but shopping – well, priorities are priorities.

Yes, priorities are. I should have had mine in order. Robert Eggleton’s book deserves your attention. Check it out.
Nov 17, 23:13 by twosheds
Ugh! Spam!
Nov 28, 01:28 by Steve Lowther
I'm 44 years old and I live in Vancouver. My earliest ventures into the realm of science fiction literature involved such authors as Jules Verne, HG Wells, John Wyndham, Aldous Huxley, Robert Heinlein, Michael Moorcock, George Orwell, Pierre Boulle, Anthony Burgess etc. Yes, pretty heavy on the Anglo end of things, but in retrospect a good groundwork for a later appreciation of the finer things the genre has to offer.

Until recently, the vast majority of my reading has been non-fiction. I never really grooved on fiction except for the occasional science fiction. The above authors were not really ones that I read tons of books by. In most cases it was just one or two and you can probably guess which.

It wasn't until my late teens that some friends turned me on to the two authors that would dominate for the next twenty years (in terms of fiction) Philip K Dick and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. I've read virtually everything those two have written.

So, having gotten thus far with those two fine authors, and with the advent of the Internet in my life, I discovered a need for more and a desire to devote much more of my reading time, in fact pretty much all of it to science fiction authors I hadn't read as yet. Having tried a few of the newer aclaimed authors and finding them lacking and having come across websites with lovely pulp magazine artwork I became fascinated with the idea of science fiction from yesteryear. I had noticed that I seemed to have an affinity for what I now know to be called the "Golden Age". Tantalised with vague memories of seeing pulps like Amazing Stories from the 1940s and 1950s, in 2nd hand bookstores of my youth, I wanted to taste that. I wanted to get my hands on those stories. I soon discovered six authors that have been uppermost in my reading habits for the past several years; Ray Bradbury, Theodore Sturgeon, Clifford D Simak, Fritz Leiber, Henry Kuttner & CL Moore.

Although my focus has been on their earlier works from the period 1945-1955, I've read pretty much anything I could get my hands on.
Jan 27, 19:16 by erich keser
An earlier message does not seem to gave been added. I am in my 50's, and have been reading sf, off and on, since shortly arriving ion Canada as an 8 yeard ol German immigrant. Started on it shortly after exhausting everything available on astronomy in the Leaside (Toronto) Children's, youth, and then adult section. From 1986-1990 I leved in Germany, and also acquainted myself with german SF, some of which is truly outstanding. (For example, Herbert Franke's book ZONE NULL which posits a world divided into a Soviet like, disciplined collectivist society and another decadent, affluent one in whose dwindling population is glued to wall -sized screens...published in 1948!).

For me, the Golden Age of sf is from the end of the sixities to the early 1980's. Favourite authors include Ursula LeGuin, Samuel Delany Jr, Stanislaw Lem, Philip K Dick, Joanna Russ.

Am very dissapointed with most of what passes for sf today, especially sub-genres like cyperpunk, but continue to be impressed by the works of authors like Greg Egan. Am Currently reading a fascinating, superbly done biography: JAMES TIPTREE: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon.

wake up you guys....

erich
saskatoon, canada
Jun 7, 23:32 by robert eggleton
“Give yourself a treat with something different next time you're ready to read. Try Rarity from the Hollow. It is one of the most unusual novels I've read in a great while. Look in on a dysfunctional family, poverty, child abuse, and the thought processes of a young girl turning the corner from childhood to adolescence, then put them all together in a surreal setting that looks at our society from a distinctly different viewpoint. You'll enjoy the ride with Lacy Dawn and friends and family, but don't expect the ride to be without bumps and enough food for thought to last you a long time.”

Darrell Bain -- 2005 Fictionwise eBook Author of the Year
Double Eppie Award winner 2007
May 8, 2007
Jun 21, 22:08 by robert eggleton
“Give yourself a treat with something different next time you're ready to read. Try Rarity from the Hollow. It is one of the most unusual novels I've read in a great while. Look in on a dysfunctional family, poverty, child abuse, and the thought processes of a young girl turning the corner from childhood to adolescence, then put them all together in a surreal setting that looks at our society from a distinctly different viewpoint. You'll enjoy the ride with Lacy Dawn and friends and family, but don't expect the ride to be without bumps and enough food for thought to last you a long time.”

Darrell Bain -- 2005 Fictionwise eBook Author of the Year
Double Eppie Award winner 2007
May 8, 2007
Dec 22, 06:02 by Gregory Tidwell
Can't tell if this thread is ancient, as there is no year. Anyway, My name is Greg Tidwell. I'm an attorney in CA and I think I found this site while it was down for maintenance last year sometime. I write SF book reviews, and I think I was looking for other reviews to teach myself how to write them. Here is a link to my own site:

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/

Check out the tag search feature. Its pretty cool if I do say so myself. I have been contemplating submitting a review here, but I actually prefer to have them on my own site and not give up rights. That's just a personal quirk of mine. But I do like this site and I can't wait to see what the new staff can do.
Feb 8, 12:22 by JohnWorne
hello i'm new user.my name is john and also have a professional dissertation writer in uk.
Mar 3, 10:18 by work@kingsleytailors.com
My name is Scott, i'm freelancer web designer

Mar 17, 11:38 by Caroline Webb
Glad to meet you.
Aug 23, 08:35 by foxaada@mail.com
Hello all. It's nice to meet you all. Regards!

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver