How the Future Predicts Science Fiction

Feb 11, 05:24 by IROSF

Comment Below!
Feb 15, 21:11 by Nader Elhefnawy
I enjoyed the article-and incidentally, also enjoyed Space Magic, which I reviewed for The Fix a couple of years ago.

There's certainly a lot here about uses of the future, and the pitfalls that go into extrapolation (though I have to admit there's a case to be made for the glass-half-full side of that discussion, which I wish was made more often).

Incidentally, as to the predictions you make, I definitely see the economic collapse scenarios making a comeback, much like we saw in so much of '80s cyberpunk. I think the fragmentation theme's been around quite a bit already-but it might derive an extra dimension not from the "Net Generation," but the "iGeneration" as it's called in this piece in H+ Magazine.
http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/neuro/children-law-accelerating-returns

Feb 16, 09:13 by Dave Goldman
Can you imagine Invasion of the Body Snatchers being written in the same way even ten years earlier, or ten years later?

How about 22 years later? The first remake replaces Communism with EST, thus further demonstrating your point.

(I haven't seen the subsequent two remakes, so I won't comment on them.)
Sep 23, 06:55 by researchgrp23@gmail.com
Stories set in the future are often judged, as time passes, on whether they come true or no. But my questions is; If science fiction can predict the future, then why don't we call it science fact?

Mary at Abingdon Tow Truck
Oct 8, 23:22 by george32manner2@gmail.com
Thanks for that informations

useful site

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver